Bad News Blair is the 4th episode of the first season and the 4th overall.
Hey, Upper East Siders. There's nothing Gossip Girl likes more than a surprise and we hear Blair Waldorf got a two for one special. Her mom, Eleanor, who just returned from Paris and Serena van der Woodsen, brunch buddies.
Blair gets excited when her mother chooses her to be the new face of her clothing line. However, Blair's happiness turns quickly into feelings of betrayal and jealousy when Serena takes her spotlight and Blair finds herself back in Serena's shadow. Meanwhile, Serena and Dan remember once again that they come from two very different worlds. Also, Nate and Chuck do a boys weekend to blow off steam after Ivy Week ends.
While "Moon River" is playing in the background, Blair is trying to enter Henry Bendel's but it turns out she can't since her name is kind of missing from the list. The only thing Blair can actually do is to stare at Serena having fun inside. Luckily for Miss Waldorf, this was just a nightmare and her day can start... right with a surprise. Guess who is back in Manhattan? Eleanor Waldorf. And she is absolutely bringing great news: Bendel is interested in carrying her fashion line. This could be the biggest shot ever for Eleanor Original. Anyway, Blair and her mother are not alone. Serena has just came over the Waldorf's because she and Blair have plans.
Someone else has plans as well, but shopping is definitely not involved, this time; Chuck has decided it's high time for a boys' weekend. Actually, a perfect mix of DBS - drugs, booze and sex, whose battle cry is pretty much "Stop Thinking. Start Partying". While the other guys are definitely eager to follow Chuck's wild life Nate doesn't seem that interested. Especially when an old acquaintance shows up, Carter Baizen. He is a former St. Jude's student who used to be cool but things change and now he claims to be a new man. He started traveling in the real world, filming documentaries. Nate seems kind of curious, Chuck has a different opinion "Are you high? That guy looks like Matthew McConaughey between movies".
Back to the girls' shopping... Seems like it's time for honesty. Blair confesses to Serena that whenever the two of them are together, she feels like everyone looks only at Serena. Even Eleanor. Van der Woodsen Jr. swears this is not true. "You're her daughter, she doesn't like anyone more than you". Blair isn't sure about Serena's words but she starts changing her mind as soon as Eleanor chooses her to be the new face for her clothing line. Blair is more than thrilled and Serena promises she will support her. And Blair does need support, since when it comes to fashion shoots, she is stiff and rigid like a piece of wood. Serena tries to help Blair out, telling her to loosen up. Then she starts showing her how to be more natural and relaxed. And the photographer does absolutely like.. Serena. Ouch.
It is a gainful day for Rufus' so-called art gallery. Bex, a buyer, buys an enigmatic painting, created by Rufus' wife, Alison. Of course, it turns out that Bex' client was none other than... Lillian. That's why she shows up later at the gallery, holding the painting. While Lillian was surprised to have accidentally become the owner of one of Alison's work, Rufus is surprised Lillian did hire someone with such a good artistic taste. Lillian points out Alison wouldn't like her as the owner of her painting, so she gives it back to Rufus. Before Lillian leaves, Rufus asks her opinion about the painting. "I thought it was extraordinary", is Lillian's reply. Rufus doesn't look at her but he is certainly pleased about Lillian's words.
Dan finally calls Serena and, yes, their first date seems on the way. Unfortunately Blair is kind of getting in Dan's way. Not only did she treat him like he was the worst loser ever, whenever she happens to be around him, but she also begs Serena to stay with her at the fashion shoot. So Serena can't make it to the cinema and stands Dan up.
Nate bails on Chuck's wild night and goes to play poker with Carter and some other sly guys. Things gets ugly when Nate figures that Carter has set him up to lose. Luckily, Chuck shows up and saves the day... and Nate, as well. Issues are not finished yet, though. To his utter shock, when Nate wants to give Chuck the money he lent him to solve his poker debt, he finds out the Captain did drain his trust account.
A new day has just risen in Upper East Side Manhattan and the official fashion shoot can get started. But... bad news, Blair. The photographer claims Blair isn't good at modeling and suggests to Eleanor a possible substitute. Serena. Eleanor agrees without even pretending she believed her daughter could turn out to be good, as well. As soon as Blair finds out Serena was the one who replaced her, she is more than furious and yells at Serena that she can't help but want the spotlight, since "It's who you are!". Serena swears she has been tricked into it, they said the two of them were doing the whole modeling thing together; they assured her Blair wasn't there because she was just running a bit late. Blair doesn't believe Serena at all. And neither does Dan, who happened to hear Blair's outburst. Serena is hurt about Dan's distrust and asks him to leave. Then she walks up to Eleanor and claims she quits. Much to Icy Eleanor's dismay. Instead of leaving, Dan catches up with Blair. Immediately she points out: "Normally, wouldn't be this close to you without a tetanus shot." Anyway, Dan sits next to her and talks about his family. Dan would like to be able to ask her mother to make up her mind. Either come home or leave for good. After Dan's wise gems, Blair decides it's time Icy Eleanor got how her offspring really feels. Blair asks Eleanor a simple question. Did she choose Serena over her? Mrs. Waldorf can't help but tell the truth. For once. "If my company had lost this deal because of you, I'd have never forgiven myself."
When Serena is about to leave, Dan shows up, apologizes to her. He shouldn't have judged her. Again. She replied she shouldn't have given him reason to. They make up and "Friday, 8:00" could be a real date... Who knows. Even Blair kind of approves.
Once Dan goes away, it's just the two it-girls. No more cat-fight, they hug. Then Blair tells Serena that, overall, she has just learn a lesson; but van der Woodsen Jr. is positive it's time they had some fun too. So they take some clothes of Eleanor's clothing line and make their own fashion shoot under NYC's blue sky. And what's more fun than taking random pictures all dressed up?
And today's bottom line is... "Everyone knows you can't choose your family but you can choose you friends. And in a world ruled by bloodlines and bank accounts, it pays to have a pal. As much as a BFF can make you go WTF, there is no denying we'd all be a little less rich without them".
- "Moon River " by Henry Mancini
- "Make It Bounce " by Invisible Men
- "The Focus " by X5
- "Tambourine " by Eve
- "Candy Store " by Miss Eighty 6
- "Till The Sun Comes Up " by Miss Eighty 6
- "Until You Can't " by Alana D
- "Bounce Back " by Miss Eighty 6
- "Beautiful Girls " by Sean Kingston
Dan : "I don't know about Serena, Dad. I can't tell if she's worth it."
Rufus : "What do you mean?"
Dan : "Well, uh, she's best friends with this girl, Blair Waldorf, who is basically everything I hate about the Upper East Side distilled into one 95-pound, doe-eyed, bon-mot, label-whoring package of girly evil."
Rufus : "No one's that bad."
Dan : "She is. I would barely be exaggerating if I told you Medusa wants her withering glare back."
Chuck: You've lived through Ivy Week and hopefully gained entry into the college of your choice. Now, let's ruin those chances. Let me remind you of the rules. As of this moment there is no outside world that I do not show you. You eat what I provide, practice what I preach. Until I say so, the only girls you talk to are the ones I've paid for. Let the lost weekend commence.
Nate: Isn't that Carter Baizen? I haven't seen him since he was a senior and we were in the eighth grade. He looks intense.
Chuck: Are you high? He looks like Matthew McConaughey between movies. The guy's a loser. Look, anyone who trades their trust fund for a fanny pack flies in the face of all that is holy to Chuck Bass.
Gossip Girl: Seems like someone's itinerary didn't leave room for interlopers. Doesn't Chuck know a party isn't a party until someone crashes?
Chuck: What is Carter still doing here?
Nate: I invited him.
Chuck: Or he invited himself. That is his style. Begging us to break free of our prisons while stuffing his face with free food and draining our booze. He's a deadbeat and a hypocrite.
Gossip Girl: The rules for a model the day of a photo shoot are similar to those of a patient pre-surgery. No food or drink twelve hours prior, wear comfortable clothing, and make sure your affairs are in order. You never know what could go wrong in a flash.
Chuck: Phase Three: Pub Crawl. Five boroughs. Five hundred chances to get laid. And remember, don't dip your shalali in the wrong pot o' gold.
Chuck (to Nate): The real world? Everyone out there wants to be us. We are what to aspire to, not run away from.
Rufus: I dated a girl like Serena once,actually a lot like Serena. And girls like that are challenging, it's true. They're complicated and... enigmatic. But usually worth it. And the only way you'll know for sure is to jump in with both feet.
Dan: What happened with you?
Rufus: I swam for awhile. Until I drowned.
Dan: Oh. Well thanks, that's a great story, Dad.
Gossip Girl : "This just in, S and B committing a crime of fashion. Who doesn't love a five fingers discount, especially if one of those fingers is the middle one..."
Chuck : "The real world. Everyone out there wants to be us."
Gossip Girl : Spotted: Lonely Boy's rude awakening. Upper East Side queens aren't born at the top, they climb their way up in heels no matter who they have to tread on to do it.
Blair : Serena sent you here to talk to me?
Dan : No,believe it or not I actually came here myself.
Blair : Normally I wouldn't be this close to you without a tetanus shot.
Carter: Maybe if your Daddy bought you a basketball team instead of a hotel you'd have some skills.
Chuck: Look, this is the Lost Weekend for Juniors, not Seniors citizens. Go jump into a volcano.
Cultural References Edit
- Alessandra Ambrosio – Blair suggests to have this famous model as the face of Eleanor’s clothing line instead of an amateur.
- American Apparel – Eleanor mentions this clothing company when she says “ I hate the american apparel effect.”
- Babe Ruth – Nate finds an antique baseball stored in a glass case. Chuck says” Babe Ruth’s called shot, the most famous homer he ever hit.”
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s – In Blair’s dream, she is wearing the exact same outfit as Audrey Hepburn did in the movie, and is eating breakfast as well. Instead of standing outside Tiffany’s,she’s standing outside another luxury shop, Henri Bendel.
- Britney Spears – Serena tells Blair to pose like “ Britney with the umbrella”
- Chloe – Eleanor mentions this fashion company when she says “ This one missed her cue at the Chloe show, because she was throwing up a pear.”
- Doc Martens – Lily mentions this famous shoe brand when she says to Rufus, “ She may have been wearing a slip dress and doc martens at the time.”
- Francis Bacon – Bex compares a painting to a early Bacon’s work.
- Genie in a Bottle – Serena says that Blair and her used to dance to this song
- Henri Bendel – In Blair’s dream, she is seen standing outside of this shop. Eleanor also mentions that Bendel’s is interested in carrying her fashion line.
- Jessica Simpson – Blair says to Serena “ My modelling career is over faster than Jessica Simpson’s acting one.”
- Julian Schnabel – Bex compares a painting to a early Schnabel’s work
- Matthew McConaughey – Chuck says that Carter looks like Matthew McConaughey between movies.
- Medusa – While talking about Blair, Dan says “Medusa wants her withering glare back.”
- Piaget – Chuck finds his piaget watch. Nate says “ Can’t you just call it a watch?” Chuck replies “ If it costs more than 10 grand it earns a proper name.”
- Posh Spice – Serena tells Blair to pose like Posh Spice in America
- Sasquatch – Chuck mentions the famous beast “ Bigfoot” when Carter enters his party, he asks, “Who brought the Sasquatch?”
- Texas Hold’em – Carter mentions this poker game when he says to Nate” Texas Hold’em is dead.”
- The Sunshine – Dan invites Serena to go with him to see this movie
- Tory Burch – Blair mentions this fashion designer/shop when she says to Serena,”I’ll be at Tory Burch looking at ponchos.”
- Venus on the half shell – Serena tells Blair to pose like this famous painting
- Vera Wang – “ Eleanor says to Serena” She was in Vera’s vogue spread, I don’t use Vera’s models.”
- Vogue – Eleanor says to Serena” She was in Vera’s Vogue spread.”
- Café Des Artistes – Eleanor says to Blair that they will have dinner at that restaurant
- Houston Street Park - Where the basketball game takes place
- Sunshine Theater - The place that Serena was meant to meet Dan to watch a movie
Food & Drink Edit
- Brunch – Gossip girl calls Eleanor and Serena “ Brunch Buddies. They are both seen eating a brunch consisting of yoghurt, coffee,fruit, and croissants. When Blair begins to eat a croissant, Eleanor says “You might find a low-fat yoghurt more appealing.”
- Crepes – Eleanor says to Blair that they will have crepes with their dinner
- Cuban Sandwich – Dan picks up some cuban sandwiches for him and Rufus to eat.
- Mimosa – When Rufus says there is probably a reason why Blair acts the way she does, Dan replies” The O.J in her mimosa was from concentrate, not freshly squeezed?”
- Steak Frites – Eleanor says they will have Steak Frites ( The french way of saying steak and fries) for dinner