|Season One, Episode 5|
|Air date||16 October, 2007|
|Written by||Lenn K. Rosenfeld|
|Directed by||Jamie Babbit|
|Episode Slogan||A SLEEPOVER LITTLE J WILL NEVER FORGET|
Bad News Blair
The Handmaiden's Tale
"With Blair's boyfriend Nate helping to close up the family yacht for the season, Blair is free to focus on the most important event of the fall: her annual sleepover. A tradition since the year 2000, each one more decadent than the last. No expense or reputation is spared. With everything from trundle beds to truffles in place, all that's missing is sleepover star and Waldorf BFF, Serena van der Woodsen." - Gossip Girl
Dan makes elaborate plans to impress Serena on their first official date. The same night, Jenny is invited to the infamous Blair Waldorf sleepover and finds herself in a high stakes game of "truth or dare." Meanwhile, when Lily discovers that Eric is missing from his treatment center, she finds herself seeking help from her ex-boyfriend, Rufus.
|Blair is getting ready to throw her annual fall sleepover, preparing for the event that has been a tradition since the year 2000 everything appears to be going smoothly. But Blair's best friend Serena bails on the event and Blair is especially mad when she learns the reason for her departure is her date with Dan Humphrey.
Blair isn't happy with Serena and needs a replacement in fact little Jenny might be the newbie Blair is looking for. Serena can't wait to find out Dan's plans about their much-anticipated date, so she seeks clues from Jenny, who, unfortunately for our curious blonde, clams up, claiming her big brother is such a mysterious guy. It turns out Dan reserved a table in a fancy restaurant. Well, this dinner isn't exactly a triumph - while Serena doesn't seem that impressed, Dan does resemble a fish out of the water. At last, the two of them agree to take it easy. Dan claims maybe she should absolutely learn something about Humphrey. Destination: Brooklyn.
Meanwhile, Blair's sleepover is definitely heating up. Blair makes Jenny realize this is anything but a sleepover. Yep, it will be Little Jenny's initiation. Even though Jenny does realize it will be a tough game, she is eager to play. And so is Blair. "Truth or Dare" can get started. Meanwhile, the doctor doesn't want to let Erik out of the treatment center, much to Lillian's relief.
On the other hand, the young patient's opinion is slightly different. He does need to go out and see someone else besides his mother. Detail that everyone can totally understand, by the way. Rufus calls his estranged wife Alison to let her know one her paintings finally sold. But it isn't actually Alison who gets the call, but a man. Actually, as he claims, a friend of Alison. Rufus is hurt, hangs up and decides it's high time he gets drunk.
Blair dares Jenny to break Erik out of the Ostroff Center and an unintimidated Miss Humphrey is successful. Then the sleepover girls plus Erik head to an exclusive club where a gleeful Jenny dares Blair to kiss a random guy. Undaunted, Blair doesn't hold back and, after a hot kiss with a stranger, snags the guy's cell phone and dares Jenny to fill his girlfriend in on her fiance's philandering behavior. It's Jenny's turn. and she steps up to the plate magnificently.
Meanwhile, Dan and Serena are playing pool. Actually, this is not Serena's best talent and Dan is trying to teach her. Fresh news. The Ostroff Center lets Lillian know that Erik is missing. Since she is positive Serena dragged her brother out of the center, Lillian tries to call her, but - surprise - Serena's cell phone never left The Palace. Lillian ends up seeking help from Rufus, claiming she needs Dan's phone number. Rufus tells Lillian she is doing a fuss over nothing and hangs up. But Rufus has always been such a good guy so, in the end, he can't help but call his son, who informs him that Erik is definitely not with the two of them. And speaking of Serena and Dan, they were actually about to kiss when Dan's phone rang. Definitely not a good timing, Rufus. Lillian comes over to Rufus' and he fills her in on Dan's words. Rufus suggests they could wait for Erik there. Lillian accepts and they cook dinner. While they're speaking of the old good days when Rufus was a young musician and Lillian wasn't a stuck-up socialite but a more relaxed groupie, Lillian confesses to Rufus about Erik's attempted suicide.
At the same time, Dan and Serena catch up with Blair, Erik, Jenny and the others girls. Serena can't believe Blair got Erik out of the Ostroff Center without even telling her. Serena isn't the only one upset, though. Dan is quite disappointed in Jenny, as well. Talk time. Erik assures Serena he just couldn't stay at the center anymore. Serena claims she will talk to their mother.
Meanwhile, Jenny tells her brother to trust her, because she won't forget who she is. Ever. Dan lets her go with Blair and Co. However, Blair's game is not over yet. Blair hands Jenny the keys and dares her to enters Waldorf's shop and steal a jacket. Jenny goes into the shop and here comes the countdown. Five, four, three, two, one. The girls run away, the alarm goes off, and Jenny is locked in. Wearing the stolen jacket, a confident Jenny tells the cops she is Blair Waldorf and she entered her mother's shop because she wanted to get her jacket. Eleanor is in Paris, right now and Jenny - or better, the new Blair - doesn't want to make her angry by calling at such odd hours. The cops want to believe her but are still unsure, until Jenny offers up her keys as proof.
After Serena and Dan took Erik back to the Ostroff Center, Lillian pays him a visit. It seems he finally gets to come back home. Meanwhile, Dan and Serena finally kiss. And someone shows up at the Waldorf's. Jenny. Blair, who is definitely surprised by Jenny's unexpected success, points the only empty bed: Jenny totally earned it. But a newly confident Jenny declines. Blair is shocked, since nobody leaves the sleepover. "I guess there's first for everything", claims Jenny. Jenny tells her (not asks) that she'll see her for lunch on the steps on Monday. An astounded Blair agrees. Jenny steps into the elevator, a sly smile playing around her lips, leaving a more-than-impressed Blair behind. It's official: Blair kind of created a monster. "If Blair's gotta watch her back, Serena needs to keep an eye on her heart. We hear it might have been stolen by Lonely Boy." Cut to Serena and Dan, still kissing.
Recurring Cast Edit
- "Rock Star " by Prima J
- "Whine Up " by Kat DeLuna
- "Mama, I'm Coming Home " by Ozzy Osbourne
- "Jezabel" by Two Hours Traffic
- "Came to Dance " by Cadence Blaze
- "I'm doing it Again " by All Wrong and the Plans Change
- "Get Ur Party On " by Zooland
- "Something Like That " by Tim
- "Jezebel " by Two Hours Traffic
- "There's a pot brewin '" by Little One's
- "Everytime " by Lincoln Hawk
Memorable Quotes Edit
Gossip Girl: Here's an inside tip, Little J: The faster you rise, the harder you fall. Hope that Hello Kitty sleeping bag doubles as a parachute.
Blair: I'm not a stop along the way; I'm a destination
Dan: It's a nice place that you and eight hundred other people have got here.
Serena: Yeah, the identical surroundings do make you crazy after a little while. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a secret government experiment.
Dan: Most government experiments don't have plasma TVs and maid services. Just something I've noticed.
Blair: As my mother always says, "Fashion knows not of comfort. All that matters is the face you show the world."
Gossip Girl: Spotlight on little J. Now put to the test by one queen bee. Will J take the bait and go from Brady to Britney? Or will her goodie too shoes mindset turn into the night's biggest buzz kill?
Blair: I have a big problem. Starts with the capital RX
Ostroff Nurse: What drugs have you been taking?
Blair: Hmmm, caffeine, nicotine, ketamine, JGP, PCP, LSD, juraida sepam? Flurazepam? All the pams really, you know, I don't discriminate.
Gossip Girl: This just in, "Truth or Dare" has gone into overtime. Looks like no one told Little J you don't beat the Waldorf's at their own game
Lily: I may hold the reins a little tight but life is complicated. Especially once you have kids. You know, when they're little you are their whole world and then one day the wall goes up and you're on one side and they're on the other.
Rufus: Well, they don't like to admit it but they want us to break through.
Cultural References Edit
- Beyonce – When Jenny tries on a dress, Blair says “ Too Beyonce.”
- Cinderella – Gossip Girl narrates about Serena “ Cinderella stepping onto a pumpkin instead of her carriage
- Donatello from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles – Dan mentions this character and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle franchise when he says “ This is the entire contents from my teenage mutant ninja turtle piggy bank, it’s time to break Donatello open.”
- Hannah Montana – Jenny tries on an outfit and Blair says,” Too Hannah Montana”
- Hedge Fund Mafia – Blair says,” Who let the hedge fund mafia in here? I thought Matchy Matchy was over.”
- Hello Kitty – Gossip Girl narrates about Jenny,“ Hope that Hello Kitty sleeping bag doubles as a parachute.”
- Mary-Kate Olsen – Jenny tries on an outfit and Blair says,“ Too Mary-Kate
- New York Film Festival – Serena asks Jenny if this festival is still going on
- Visconti – Blair tells Isabel to take the girls to this shop
Food & Drink Edit
- Cappuccino – Blair says sarcastically to the nurse that she'd love one
- Chicken – At the restaurant, Dan orders chicken and says “ How about chicken? You can’t go wrong with chicken.”
- Grapes – Blair and Jenny eat grapes once Jenny arrives at the sleepover
- Lapin – Dan asks the waiter what Lapin is, the waiter informs him it’s rabbit and Dan says he won't be having that.
- Lobster Bisque (Soup) – Serena orders this at the restaurant
- Marshmallows – Jenny says to Blair,”I once had to eat an entire bag of marshmallows.”
- Martini – Blair offers Jenny a martini and she says she doesn't like vodka. Blair says “ This is gin, as it should be.” Jenny is then pressured into drinking.
- Muscovy Duck – Serena also orders this at the restaurant
- Schnapps – Blair says to Serena “ While you get drunk on schnapps and moon the N.Y.U dorms from the limo window.”
- Truffles – Gossip girl narrates that their will be truffles at Blair’s sleepover
- Quail – At a restaurant, Dan asks the waiter “ How’s the braised quail?”