New Haven Can Wait is the 6th episode of the second season and the 24th overall.
Rise and shine, early birds, Gossip Girl here. We all have dreams: some good, some bad, some fun and Freudian. And some are the dreams we've had our whole lives.
After Blair and Serena get into a catfight, Serena decides to get even with Blair, who has always dreamed of attending Yale, by ditching her plans to visit Brown, and instead accepting the Dean of Yale's personal invitation to visit the school. After discovering that none of his recommendation letters for Yale were ever submitted, Dan frantically tries to figure out a way to salvage his chances of getting into the school. While on the Yale campus, Chuck is kidnapped by a group of Skull and Bones members and Nate hooks up with a co-ed.
Memorable Quotes Edit
Blair: Your deductive reasoning skills are perfect for a place like Brown.
Serena: A place like Brown?
Blair: You know, an enclave of trustafarians and children of celebrities who major in drum circles and semiotics, whatever that is.
Blair(to the dean of Yale): Well, I'm aware I lack some people's easy grace with strangers. I don't exactly make you feel like you've known me forever even though we just met. When I laugh, you might not smile just at the coquettish sound of it, and I may not be spontaneous or delightful or full of surprises, and my hair may not sparkle when it catches the light.Everything worth knowing about me is in that folder. I made sure of it.
Chuck: Get excited, Archibald. We are less than three hours away from horny Women’s Studies majors wanting to work out all their anger towards men in their bunk beds.
Blair: Of all the things... Nate, my mom, the girls at school ,you wouldn't take this from me. Because if you do, I swear I will take you down.
Serena: I'm not taking anything from you Blair, I was invited. And as for taking me down, I'd love to see you try.
Dorota: Ms. Serena and you are still not speaking?
Blair: Not a word in a week. Though I can't seem to escape her. Ever since my mother's show Manhattan has turned into Serenaville.
Dorota: I heard Marc Jacobs named a purse after her.
Serena: Well I know you may find this hard to believe but not everyone wants to go to Yale because not everyone wants to be Blair Waldorf.
Blair: Not everyone can be. Since we're not friends anymore let me speak frankly, you're not that smart. You lack focus and discipline. Charm is all well and good but in the real world knowledge is power. You wouldn't make it past the first round of admissions at Yale no matter how hard you tried. Have fun in Providence.
Serena: I can't do it anymore Blair.
Blair: That's because you almost lost. I had you pinned with that chicken wing, don't deny it.
Serena: I don't mean this, I mean everything. The wars, the betrayal, the watching out for every possible land mine. It's exhausting.
Blair: I'm sick of it too. I'm sick of always looking like Darth Vader next to sunshine Barbie. Life's too short, but you make it feel so long.
Serena: Well if that's how we feel then maybe, maybe we shouldn't be friends. We were probably gonna grow apart in college anyway, so might as well just start now right?
Blair(to Serena): Why do you think you were invited? You know on paper you're not Yale material! Could it be your face on page six of every tabloid magazine in the country? Your name everywhere? Face it Serena, Yale needs to up their hue rating just like all the other schools and their gonna use girls like you to do it!
Gossip Girl: From comrades to combat we thought we'd seen it all, but we've never seen this: Serena and Blair calling a cease fire. After so much scorched earth, can either side claim victory?
- Blake Lively as Serena van der Woodsen
- Leighton Meester as Blair Waldorf
- Penn Badgley as Dan Humphrey
- Chace Crawford as Nate Archibald
- Taylor Momsen as Jenny Humphrey
- Ed Westwick as Chuck Bass
- Jessica Szohr as Vanessa Abrams
- Kelly Rutherford as Lily van der Woodsen
- Matthew Settle as Rufus Humphrey
- White Diamonds by Friendly Fires Nate finds a college girl to hook up with, Chuck gets kidnapped.
- The Rain In Spain by Julie Andrews, Rex Harrison & Robert Coote This song isn't actually used, but they do an imitation of it in Blair's dream.
- The Wake Up Song by The Submarines Beginning and end of episode.
- Wooden Heart by The Duke Spirit Nate is hooking up with the college chick.
- Time Is Running Out by The Section Quartet This song, originally by the band MUSE plays when Blair and Serena are fighting over the dean's question by the bowl of papers.
- Time Is Running Out by The Section Quartet add scene description
- Dragstrip Girl by Jamie Blake Nate has a confrontation with the Yale gang at the bar.
Cultural References Edit
- Artemis - Ms Steinberg chooses this greek goddess as her answer to the dean's question
- Christies - Blair purchases cat figurines from this auction house to bribe the Yale receptionist
- Darth Vader - Blair compares herself to this evil character
- Henry Cavill - Serena says that this actor is a total babe
- Henry VIII - Blair says that she loves this king
- Gabriel Marquez - Jordan asks Nate what he thinks of this writer
- George Sand - The favourite writer of the dean of admissions at Yale
- Jimmy Choo - Jenny picks out some shoes for Lily by this designer
- John Mayer - This singer's name is mentioned when Chuck gets kidnapped
- Larry King - Blair says that she gives such a good interview that she could make this talk show host cry
- Lauren Conrad - Blair guesses that this will be Serena's answer to the dean's question of who you would like to have dinner with
- Love In The Time Of Cholera - Jordan asks Nate what he thinks of this book
- Marc Jacobs - Dorota says that this designer named a purse after Serena
- Maxim Magazine - It's mentioned that Chuck has slept with more cover models of this magazine than John Mayer
- Michael Milken - Nate gets compared to this famous financier
- My Fair Lady - Blair's dream was an allusion to this film
- Pope Pius Xl - Serena mentions this pope while correcting Blair
- The Tudors - Serena says that she loves this TV series
- Thomas More - Blair says that she prefers him to Henry VIII
- Frick Collection Musuem - The venue of the fall dinner
- Hunter College - Blair says that Serena and her will probably end up here after getting rejected from Yale
- New Haven - Gossip Girl says that it was invaded in 1779