Summer, Kind of Wonderful is the first episode of Season 2 of Gossip Girl.
They say summer love is fleeting, but sometimes what starts as a fling can lead to the real thing. A simple trip to the beach could be all it takes to clear our heads and open our hearts. And write a new ending to an old story. There are those who got burned by the heat. They just want to forget and start over. While there are others who want each moment to last forever. But everyone can agree on one thing: tans fade, highlights go dark and we all get sick of sand in our shoes. But the end of summer is the beginning of a new season. So we find ourselves looking to the future. You ain't seen nothing' yet. - Gossip Girl
As the summer draws to a close in the Hamptons, Serena and Nate have everyone fooled into thinking they are a couple to cover up the fact that Nate has been hooking up with a married, older woman. Blair was from abroad with a hot guy on her arm, making a very jealous Chuck question his decision to leave Blair stranded at the heliport. Dan has spent the summer assisting a famous author, and clearly still has one certain girl on his mind, which results in him going after her. While interning for Eleanor Waldorf's company, Jenny sneaks an invite to a much-coveted Hamptons' White Party at which Eric introduces her to socialite Tinsley Mortimer.
Blair: At least I could have gotten a more interesting stand-in than James. You know how hard it is to find a good fake boyfriend on short notice?
Blair (to Chuck): Three words. Eight letters. Say it and i'm yours.
Serena: I still miss Dan sometimes. More than sometimes. All the time.
Blair: The only thing lamer than dating Dan Humphrey, is mourning Dan Humphrey.
Blair: What about all those rumours I heard about you and Nate?
Serena: Completely untrue. They just got people off my back about being sad and then Nate could go do whatever he wants. So it worked out for both of us.
Blair: You're telling me you didn't have any fun with anyone all summer?
Serena: Well, there is this hot lifeguard that asked me out. But I turned him down.
Blair: What? Are you crazy? A hot lifeguard is like Kleenex! Use once and throw away. You couldn't ask for a better rebound!
Chuck: You're lying.
Blair: I am not.
Chuck: Your eyes are doing that thing where they don't match your mouth.
Blair: I wasn't aware that robots got jealous. Did they update your software while I was away?
Nate: You're not going to the White Party? C'mon. Pretty girls. White dresses.
Chuck: Unless there's a sprinkler I'm not interested.
Chuck: You really know how to hurt people. I admire you for it.
Blair: This is all your fault. I would've never needed James if you hadn't stood me up at the airport in the first place! You made me use him!
Chuck: I didn't make you do anything. You were just you. Don't you see we're the same? Stop trying to fight it.
Blair: I will fight until my last dying breath because any resemblance to you is something I would hate about myself.
Gossip Girl: Spotted: Blair Waldorf at Charles de Gaulle, homeward bound. What could possibly make Queen B. abandon her two dads before Labor Day? We bet Chuck Bass wants to know. Also spotted: Serena van der Woodsen on Cooper's Beach. Alone again. We've heard talk that things are heating up with Nate Archibald. And where there's smoke, there's usually fire. But if that's the case, why has Nate fallen right off our radar and Serena is always sighted solo? Wonder what she'd do if she knew Lonely Boy wasn't so lonely anymore.
Serena: Blair will never forgive you for what you did to her.
Chuck: Who told you that little piece of advice, your boyfriend Nate?
Serena: Nate didn't say anything.
Chuck: Good. 'Cause I don't think it's wise taking relationship advice from somebody in a fake relationship. Call me crazy. Enjoy another night alone with your thoughts.
Gossip Girl: Spotted: Chuck Bass waiting for the Jitney. A dozen roses in one hand, his heart in the other. You know what they say, a man is a good thing to come home for. But an even better thing to come home with. Ain't karma a bitch? We know Blair Waldorf is.
Jenny: As nice as it is that you're encouraging me to get my designs out there, the White Party's like, super-exclusive. I mean summer interns do not get to go. Last year they even turned away Jack Johnson.
Rufus: Sounds like a party with taste!
Eric: If it's apology-time you're about three months too late. And let me guess, you want something.
Jenny: Um, yeah. Does it help if the new me just answered that honestly?
Blair (about Chuck): Damn that Motherchucker!
Dan: I can't believe that I get a job working for literary idol and he cans me. You know? I did everything he asked, from picking up his dry cleaning to keeping him sober before noon. Which was, believe me, the hardest thing I've ever done.
Rufus: So what is this story about anyway?
Dan: The dissolution of a relationship between two people from different worlds.
Rufus: Science fiction, huh?
Rufus: Well if I can offer some fatherly advice from 300 miles away...
Dan: I haven't finished the story because I haven't dealt with my feelings over the way I ended it with Serena.
Rufus: Couldn't have said it better myself. Even if you'd let me.
Gossip Girl: Sometimes the stars align for two old friends to go together. But sometimes they align for two old flames to totally combust. Wonder what the sky holds for S tonight. Friendship. Or fireworks.
Blair: You don't understand. Chuck. Is an awful person. He does terrible things. He uses people.
Marcus: And you think you're any different.
Dan( to Serena): It can never be a simple answer with you. It can't just be "I kissed Nate." It has to be "I kissed Nate because someone I can't name needed to see it for a reason I can't explain." It's the same drama, different city.
Dan: I haven't been able to get you out of my head all summer. I was hoping, when I saw you I would know that we did the right thing. But I don't feel that way. I don't feel that way at all.
Serena: Can we not talk about this right now? I have to make sure that my grandfather's suit from the 70s isn't ruined. Any more than it was by being my grandfather's suit from the 70s.
Dan: I missed that little laugh of yours.
Chuck: I was scared that if we spent the whole summer together that you'd see.
Blair: See what?
Chuck: Me. Please don't leave with him.
Blair: Why? Give me a reason. And "I'm Chuck Bass" doesn't count.
Chuck: 'Cause you don't want to.
Blair: Not enough.
Chuck: Cause I don't want you to.
Blair: That's not enough.
Gossip Girl: Unlike the rest of us, sex, lies and scandal never take a vacation. Instead, they take the Long Island Expressway and head east. To the Hamptons. Some would say summer is their busiest season. Think Park Avenue. But with tennis whites and ban de soleil. The players change, but the game remains the same.
- "Reverse Of Shade" by The Windupdeads (song on previously)
- "Buzzin'" by Shwayze
- "Fell in Love Without You (Acoustic Version)" by Motion City Soundtrack
- "Crazy" by Jem
- "Break It Down" by Alana D
- "Google Me" by Teyana Taylor
- "Paparazzi" by Lady GaGa
Cultural References Edit
- Bulgari - Harold bought Blair a pearl chokes from this Italian jewellery and luxury goods brand
- Breakfast at Tiffany's - Chuck references this as Blair's favourite movie
- Charade - Chuck mentions this Audrey Hepburn movie
- Funny Face - James mentions this Audrey Hepburn movie
- Georgetown University - Blair mentions this university in Washington
- Holly Hobbie - Laurel compares Jenny's dress to a dress worn by this fictional character in kids books
- Jack Johnson - Jenny mentions this american singer
- Mr Ripley - Chuck compares this fictional character to James
- Princeton University - Chuck mentions this Ivy League New Jersey University
- Roman Holiday - Chuck mentions this Audrey Hepburn movie
- Sherlock Holmes - Nate nicknames Eric after this fictional detective
- Shiva - Blair mentions this ritual practiced in Judaism, which is the week-long mourning period for first-degree relatives
- South Pacific - Rufus and Alison watch this musical which is about an American nurse stationed on a South Pacific island during World War II who falls in love with a middle-aged expatriate French plantation owner but struggles to accept his mixed-race children.
- The Closer - Blair mentions this American TV series about a C.I.A agent
- The Hampton Jitney - Serena mentions this bus which runs from Manhattan to The Hamptons
- The Paris Review - A magazine dedicated to writers and stories
- W Magazine - Laurel mentions this magazine, which is about fashion,beauty, and celebrities
- Argentina - Chuck mentions this country in South America
- Charles de Gaulle Airport - An airport in France
- Cooper's Beach - A beach in Southampton
- Della Femina - Serena mentions this restaurant in The Hampton's, which is now closed
- Hôtel du Cap-Eden-Roc - Blair mentions this 5 star hotel in France
- Lily Pond - A nightclub in The Hampton's
- Nick & Toni's - Blair mentions this cafe in The Hampton's
- Park Avenue - A well known street in New York
- Rio de Janeiro - Chuck mentions this city in Brazil
- The Hampton's - A group of villages and hamlets in the towns of Southampton and East Hampton, which form the South Fork of Long Island, New York
- Vermont - A state in the northeastern U.S which Rufus's band is touring in
Food & Drink Edit
- Gin Martini - Blair says that James drinks these martinis