|"The Goodbye Gossip Girl"|
|Season 2, Episode 25|
|Air date||May 18, 2009|
|Written by||Joshua Safran|
|Directed by||Norman Buckley|
"Reversals of Fortune"
It's graduation for Constance Billard and St.Jude as the characters plan to take the plunge into their lives after high school. For some like Blair and Serena it means leaving behind Gossip Girl. Unfortunately, Gossip Girl has other plans for them. In the midst of the ceremony, Gossip Girl sends out a blast with unflattering labels for each of the main characters: "Nate: class whore; Dan: the ultimate insider; Chuck: coward; Blair: weakling; and Serena: "After today, you are officially irrelevant."
Although Dan is unperturbed, the others are furious and seek revenge by trying to uncover Gossip Girl's identity. The attempted outings anger Gossip Girl so much that she unleashes her entire stockpile of tips, which concern events that have happened throughout the series but have thus far remained secret. Tempers flare as the secrets are revealed and everyone confronts each other. Chuck and Blair turn their anger onto Serena, who had set the trap that had provoked Gossip Girl's wrath.
Upset, Serena texts Gossip Girl to meet her alone face-to-face at a bar, threatening to reveal her true identity to everyone. Gossip Girl calls her bluff and arranges for the whole class to meet Serena in the bar. Via e-mail, Gossip Girl then points out that she had given them all the perfect graduation present: a clean slate, as all their secrets were now out. She also reminds them that without their tips and their thirst for gossip and sordid drama, she would be nothing. She reveals that she will be following them to college, and her identity remains a mystery.
The characters all prepare for the summer; Little J is crowned future Queen by Blair; Nate and Vanessa prepare for their roadtrip to Europe, just as friends; and Georgina prepares to attend NYU with Dan and Blair. After Blair pours out her heart to Chuck, he returns from Europe with her favorite goodies and tells her that he loves her too, finally.
Memorable Quotes Edit
Nelly: What would high school be without hierarchy?
Jenny: Bearable? A nice place to spend time?
Blair: Ladies, I thought we were matching our headbands under our caps
Gossip Girl: You wanted to meet Gossip Girl? Well, look around. I'm nothing without you. And while most high school friendships fade, it's my hope that what happened today will bond you forever. Now that all my secrets are out, you have a clean slate. Until college. Congratulations, I'm coming with you.
Blair: [to Jenny] That's the thing. You need to be cool to be queen. Anne Boleyn thought only with her heart and she got her head chopped off. So her daughter Elizabeth made a vow never to marry a man. She married a country. Forget boys. Keep your eye on the prize, Jenny Humphrey. You can't make people love you, but you can make them fear you. For what it's worth, you're my Queen. I choose you.
Dramatis Personae Edit
- Blake Lively as Serena van der Woodsen
- Leighton Meester as Blair Waldorf
- Penn Badgley as Dan Humphrey
- Chace Crawford as Nate Archibald
- Taylor Momsen as Jenny Humphrey
- Ed Westwick as Chuck Bass
- Jessica Szohr as Vanessa Abrams
- Kelly Rutherford as Lily van der Woodsen
- Matthew Settle as Rufus Humphrey
Special Guest Stars Edit
- Margaret Colin as Eleanor Waldorf
- James Naughton as William van der Bilt
- Chris Riggi as Scott Rosson
- Jan Maxwell as Headmistress Queller
- Connor Paolo as Eric van der Woodsen
- Wallace Shawn as Cyrus Rose
- Yin Chang as Nelly Yuki
- Nicole Fiscella as Isabel Coates
- Amanda Setton as Penelope Shafai
- Dreama Walker as Hazel Williams
- Sebastian Stan as Carter Baizen
- Stella Maeve as Emma Boardman
- Reed Birney as Mr. Prescott
- Matt Doyle as Jonathan Whitney
Recurring Stars Edit
- "The Future Is Where We Belong" by Hotpipes
- "The Stars Just Blink For Us" by Say Hi aka Say Hi To Your Mom
- "Season Of Love" by Shiny Toy Guns
- "I Just Wanna' Be Free, Man" by The Handcuffs
- "Zero" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- "Bet You Never Thought" by Brighton, MA
- "November Was White, December Was Grey" by Say Hi aka Say Hi To Your Mom
- "The Summer" by Coconut Records
- "Are You Just A Dream?" by Daniel May/ MasterSource Music