The Wild Brunch is the 2nd episode of the first season and the 2nd episode overall.
I bet you're wondering what Gossip Girl is doing up so early. Truth is, I never went to bed. Why waste precious time dreaming when waking life is so much better. Is there really anything better than a lazy Sunday? Reading the paper in bed, sipping coffee, scrambling an egg or two. Yeah, right. We Upper East Siders don't do lazy. Breakfast is brunch and it comes with champagne, a dress code, and a hundred of our closest friends. And enemies. Chuck's dad, Bart Bass, is hosting the annual brunch for his foundation. Everyone is invited. Well... not everyone.
It's the day right after the Kiss on the lips party and Serena receives a cold reception from her former best friend Blair. Blair reveals that she knows that Serena and Nate slept together, before Serena mysteriously went to boarding school. After meeting Dan outside the hotel Serena decides to take Dan to Chuck's fundraiser brunch at The Palace. Meanwhile Jenny asks Blair for advice after the party and her problem with Chuck, and Blair realizes that she maybe gains something by allowing Jenny into her inner circle.Dan and Serena have to come to terms with each other's different worlds and work out if there is a place for their relationship.
Jenny and Dan wake up from the events of last night where Jenny mocks Dan for doing "the wave". Dan figures that he should explain to Serena what "the wave" meant, while Jenny goes to Blair for help with Chuck. Serena on the other hand thought that Dan hated her when he did "the wave" and goes to Blair's place to ask what the stare down meant at the party. Blair for her part does not want anything to do with Serena, and hopes she doesn't show up at Chuck's father Bart's annual brunch.
After telling Serena that she knows what transpired between her and Nate the night Serena left, Blair orders Serena to leave her and her group alone. Meanwhile, at the Palace, Nate and Dan encounter each other waiting for Serena. Chuck sees Dan and it almost comes to blows; Nate restrains Chuck and leads him off to Bart's brunch.
At the Waldorf penthouse, Jenny confides to Blair about Chuck, and the junior assures her that Chuck hasn't said anything yet. Jenny then helps Blair dress up for the brunch, and as a reward, Blair gives her one of her mother Eleanor's old dresses. Meanwhile, Rufus meets Lily in Brooklyn, and tells her that Dan "might be the guy Serena needs."
Dan and Serena meet outside the Palace, and after explaining about "the wave," he invites her to eat, just as Lily arrives and orders Serena to proceed to the brunch.
Dragging Dan along, Serena goes to the brunch, infuriating Blair with her presence. Nate surreptitiously gives Serena a key to Chuck's suite so that the two can talk out from under the watchful eyes of Blair; Chuck gives Blair an identical key, telling her to grab Nate and "seal the deal." Blair and Nate, already in action, tumble into the suite only to be greeted by Serena. Blair flips out, and runs to find Dan to tell him about Serena's past. Meanwhile, as Dan steps outside, he sees Lily and Bart discussing their relationship; Lily catches sight of Dan and admonishes him, demanding that he tell no one what he overhead.
Blair finally catches up with Dan, which led to Serena coming clean to her date. A disappointed Dan is further enraged when Chuck insults Jenny, and throws a second punch at the would-be rapist. Serena tries to explain herself to Dan, but he leaves the brunch without her.
Back at the Humphrey apartment, Dan relates to Rufus and Jenny that he "...found Serena, but then lost her." Blair and Nate make up again, Jenny tries out her new dress and Serena throws away her cellphone that contained pictures of her, Blair, Chuck and Nate.
- Blake Lively as Serena van der Woodsen
- Leighton Meester as Blair Waldorf
- Penn Badgley as Dan Humphrey
- Chace Crawford as Nate Archibald
- Taylor Momsen as Jenny Humphrey
- Ed Westwick as Chuck Bass
- Kelly Rutherford as Lily van der Woodsen
- Matthew Settle as Rufus Humphrey
- Nicole Fiscella as Isabel Coates
- Nan Zhang as Kati Farkas
- Sam Robards as Howie "The Captain" Archibald
- Connor Paolo as Eric van der Woodsen
- Robert John Burke as Bart Bass
Memorable Quotes Edit
Chuck : (about Dan) If I knew his name I'd hunt him down and kill him.
Nate : What, cause you kill people now? You gonna strangle him with your scarf?
Chuck :Don't mock the scarf Nathaniel, its my signature.
Nate: Just saying, death by scarf, not that intimidating.
Gossip Girl : I bet you're wondering what Gossip Girl is doing up so early. Truth is, I never went to bed. Why waste precious time dreaming when waking life is so much better.
Dan : I think I have brain damage
Jenny : You know, Dan, if you had brain damage you wouldn't even know you had brain damage
Dan : You only get one shot with a girl like Serena. I got mine and I blew it.
Jenny : Which means you have nothing to lose.
Dan : Nothing except my last shred of dignity.
Jenny : Oh no. I think that's gone.
Dan : It's nice to see you again, Mrs. van der Woodsen. Hope you've had a pleasant twenty-one hours since I last saw you.
Lily : Yes it has been very pleasant. Until now.
Blair ( to Serena ) : You know, I always knew you were a whore. I never took you for a liar too.
Rufus : Admit it, you're falling for me again.
Lily : You're right. It's the low income tax bracket, the bad v-neck shirts, the awful jokes. I don't know why your wife left you.
Blair : Sex is actually kind of a big deal to some of us.
Serena : Oh yeah. I can see that. Chuck's bed. Very romantic. Classy too.
Chuck : Look, Serena, stop trying to pretend you're a good girl. So you slept with your best friend's boyfriend. I kind of admire you for it.
Lily : The more you hide yourself away, the more people are going to think you have something to hide.
Serena : Coming from someone who is keeping my brother is an institution.
Lily : That's different.
Bart : The invitation said black tie, not black eye.
Chuck : This isn't over!
Dan : Hey, anytime man. That one black eye looks a little lonely.
Cultural References Edit
- Audrey Hepburn / Breakfast at Tiffany's - Serena mentions Audrey Hepburn when she says to Blair " I brought two bone-dry caps and Audrey." She then says " It's Sunday morning, coffee,croissants, Breakfast at Tiffany's, it's our tradition."
- Bergdorf Goodman - Blair mentions this luxury department store to Jenny when she says " Stella Mccartney has a much better version at Bergdorf's." Jenny replies " Right, I've been meaning to go by Bergdorf's."
- Cabbage Patch Kids - Jenny sees a cabbage patch kid in Blair's room and mentions that her brother used to have one named Cedric.
- Forbes & Rolling Stone Magazine - Rufus mentions these magazines when he asks Lily about her new love interest. He says " What's his name ? Have I seen him in Forbes or Rolling Stone?"
- Michel Perry - Serena mentions this shoe designer when she asks Lily if she's borrowed one of her Michel Perry shoes
- Stella Mccartney - Blair tries on a dress by Stella Mccartney. She says to Jenny, " Stella Mccartney has a much better version at Bergdorf's."
- The Ozarks - Dan mentions the Ozarks when Chuck calls him trash. He says " I live in Brooklyn, not the Ozarks. No offense to the Ozarks."
- The Warped Tour - Dan mentions this to Lily when he says " This is Brooklyn, not The Warped Tour."
Food & DrinkEdit
- Beluga Caviar - Serena says to Dan " I have to use the ladies room, do you think you'll be okay by yourself for a while?" Dan replies " Yeah, me and some beluga caviar? I can't get enough of this stuff."
- Brunch - This whole episode is centered around the annual brunch for Bart's foundation. Gossip Girl compares a normal person's brunch to an Upper East Sider's brunch. "Is there really anything better than a lazy Sunday? Reading the paper in bed, sipping coffee, scrambling an egg or two.Yeah right, we Upper East Siders don’t do lazy. Breakfast is brunch, and it comes with champagne, a dress code, and a hundred of our closest friends, and enemies."
- Croissant - Serena mentions this when she says to Blair " It's Sunday morning, coffee,croissants, Breakfast at Tiffany's, it's our tradition."
- Coffee - This is referenced often in this episode. Firstly, Blair calls Nate and tells him to get some strong coffee. Then Serena brings over bone-dry cappuccinos to Blair's house. Rufus and Lily order americanos at a coffee shop, Lily's even has an extra shot. Jenny asks Rufus how his new song is going, and he replies " I need some more coffee."
- Hangover Smoothie - Chuck makes a green hangover smoothie in the morning.
- Mimosa - At the brunch, people are seen drinking mimosas instead of regular orange juice.
- Scotch - At the brunch, Chuck is seen drinking scotch. Bart says to him " Do me a favour, lose the scotch, it’s barely noon."
- Waffles - Rufus arrives home just as Dan and Jenny leave. He's upset because he was going to make waffles, he says " I make really good waffles."