- This article is about the episode. For the proposed spin-off of the same name, see Valley Girls (TV series).
|Season 2, Episode 24|
|Air date||May 11, 2009|
|Written by||Josh Schwartz & Stephanie Savage|
|Directed by||Mark Piznarski|
"The Wrath of Con"
"The Goodbye Gossip Girl"
To prove her own independence, Serena refuses to leave jail with her mother, Lily, or her grandmother CeCe. Rufus is also furious with Lily for having Serena arrested, and returns home without asking Lily to marry him, since he thinks she isn't that different from her mother after all. Meanwhile, Lily is extremely upset with Cece for telling Rufus about their lovechild. While their relationship was never very strong, Lily wants Cece to leave immediately.
It's also the day of Senior Prom at Constance Billard and Blair is determined to have the perfect prom she's dreamed of with Nate. But something or someone seems to be sabotaging her dream until mysterious packages of her dress and corsage arrive from a mystery person; she's thrilled since they look just like the ones from her prom book.
Dan convinces Serena to go to prom by bringing her a dress that Jenny made and taking her himself, although just as friends. Blair is thrilled to see her best friend and makes plans to be Prom Queen; although her minions attempt to sabotage the votes, Chuck manages to save the day by rigging the votes in Blair's favor. Serena also finds out that Chuck was the one who sent Blair her dream dress and date, although Chuck just wants her to be happy.
Despite Blair's perfect ending to a perfect prom, she and Nate decide to break up since Nate was her perfect high school boyfriend and they should both move on having seen their relationship through, something they couldn't do before.
Serena and Blair reminisce about the end of high school together, both dateless but with one another.
This episode was also the potential backdoor pilot for a Gossip Girl spinoff starring a young Lily.
Memorable Quotes Edit
Gossip Girl: Shoulder pads may come and go, but a BFF is forever, because even when you're not sure where you're headed, it helps to know you're not going there alone.
Blair: Serena's been in jail for over 4 hours, she's already served more time than Nicole Richie and Lindsay Lohan combined!
Blair [to Serena]: Why are you still in jail?!
Serena: It's by choice!
Blair: Oh, God! You're not going to come out of there with a mullet and a girlfriend, are you?
Serena: My mother didn't think that I was old enough to make my own decisions, so I decided to stay in jail and I'm not leaving until she decides to let me live my own life!
Blair: So it's a war of attrition!
Serena: So to speak.
Blair: Except she gets to wage the war from the comfort of her penthouse while you remain behind bars!
Gossip Girl: Who knew the mother Chucker could also play fairy-godmother? ...but if C just made B's dreams come true, why does it feel like our queen is standing with the wrong King?
Blair: Turns out fairytales end when they do for a reason. I really wanted to go to prom with my high school boyfriend, and now that I have...
Serena: It feels like your high school boyfriend.
Serena: Yeah, who even voted for her?
Chuck: Me. About 150 times.
Lily: I should forgive Serena for defying me.
Rufus: Or first maybe you need to forgive Cece.
Lily: My mother doesn't need forgiveness, she needs electro-shock therapy.
Gossip Girl: Life can still surprise us, and we can still surprise ourselves. XOXO, Gossip Girl.
Dramatis Personae Edit
- Blake Lively as Serena van der Woodsen
- Leighton Meester as Blair Waldorf
- Penn Badgley as Dan Humphrey
- Chace Crawford as Nate Archibald
- Taylor Momsen as Jenny Humphrey
- Ed Westwick as Chuck Bass
- Jessica Szohr as Vanessa Abrams
- Kelly Rutherford as Lily van der Woodsen
- Matthew Settle as Rufus Humphrey
Special Guest Stars Edit
- Brittany Snow as Lily van der Woodsen (in flashbacks)
- Krysten Ritter as Carol Rhodes
- Andrew McCarthy as Rick Rhodes
- Shiloh Fernandez as Owen Campos
- Ryan Hansen as Shep
- Matt Barr as Keith van der Woodsen
- Caroline Lagerfelt as CeCe Rhodes
- Connor Paolo as Eric van der Woodsen
- Cynthia Watros as CeCe Rhodes (in flashbacks)
- Yin Chang as Nelly Yuki
- Nicole Fiscella as Isabel Coates
- Abby Pivaronas as Veronica
- Amanda Setton as Penelope Shafai
- Zuzanna Szadkowski as Dorota
- Dreama Walker as Hazel Williams
- No Doubt as themselves
Recurring Stars Edit
- This episode was the backdoor pilot for a proposed spin-off focusing on Lily's teenage years. The spin-off was never picked up.
- In this episode we meet Keith van der Woodsen in the flashbacks, played by Matt Barr. He is one of Lily's love interests and it can be assumed he is supposed to be Eric and Serena's future father. However, when we meet their father in season three, his first name is William. This is probably a continuity error and it can be assumed this is the same character.